Keto diets have become popular with their high potential for weight-loss, as well as the resultant health benefits.
Eating a keto diet we get to enjoy delicious food – but after a few it can get a bit monotonous!
Our ‘safe list’ on Keto, while generous compared to traditional diets, is still limited in areas.
That’s because the diet requires you to cut carbs to the absolute bare minimum, so the ingredients you can choose from are relatively limited.
But, a dollop of imagination, as well as a good helping of improvisation will overcome the boredom factor, and keep you on track until you’ve accomplished your health goals.
Another trending factor among the health-conscious is the Instant Pot also called the Pressure Cooker.
The ease and speed with which you can cook up delicious as well as nutritious meals ensure that you eat healthily.
With this device, there’s no real excuse, such as ‘inconvenient’ or ‘no time’!
I bought an Instant Pot that is also a slow cooker and browns as well, so it really is an all-in-one device.
So if you’re looking for ways to get more variety into your Keto diet or try some new and exciting Keto recipes, combine Instant Pot and Keto recipes to keep things interesting!
Here are 4 scrumptious keto recipes you can whip up quickly in your Instant Pot.
Keto Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth
Bone broth is delicious and comes with so many health benefits.
It’s rich in vital nutrients like vitamins, iron, and calcium. It’s also loaded with collagen, the raw material that’ll help strengthen your joints and ligaments.
Even better, it’ll keep you nice and toasty on a cold winter night.
- 2.5 lbs (1.13 Kg) assorted chicken bones
- 2 cloves garlic with skin
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 onion with skin, halved
- Your choice of fresh herbs like Rosemary, Thyme, etc.
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Large pinch of black peppercorns, whole
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 8 cups water, or enough to stop an inch below the Max line
- Place the bones (no more than halfway up) first, and then the rest of the ingredients in the Instant Pot
- Lock the lid in place, press Manual, and set the pot to cook on high pressure for 2 hours
- Once the cooking is done, let the pressure release naturally
- Strain the broth and discard the solids. You could skim off the layer of fat on top, and maybe even use it for frying
You’ve now got the bone broth of your dreams. You can substitute the vegetables in the recipe with any trimmings you may have saved. This broth can be had like a soup, or be stored in your fridge or freezer to be used as stock, like in this heartwarming Japanese Ramen Soup.
Keto Instant Pot Chicken Leg Quarters
There’s quite nothing like a large portion of succulent, well-seasoned chicken to get you that happy feeling in your tummy. And this instantpot chicken quarters recipe from Corrie Cooks serves up chicken that’s just perfectly juicy and tender.
- 4 chicken leg quarters, skinless
- 1 cup broth (chicken)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & black pepper, as per your taste
- Put steamer trivet in Instant Pot and pour in broth
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic
- Place the quarters spread out atop the trivet
- Close lid, and cook for 20 minutes on high pressure
- Release pressure quickly
- Place the chicken onto a baking sheet in one layer
- Coat oil evenly on the chicken quarters and broil in the oven for 5 minutes on one side. Then flip, for 5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve with a side of salad greens, and enjoy.
You get 4 instant pot chicken quarters, and it takes just 35 minutes, with prep. Perfect for make ahead lunches, simple weeknight dinners or great for entertaining!
Instant Pot Beef Curry
This beef curry is absolute keto nirvana. It has proteins, a good dollop of the perfect kind of fat – coconut milk – and hardly any calories to speak of. It also has that rich, creamy texture of the best comfort foods, and everyone at home will love you for it.
- 2 lbs (900 g) beef chunks (stew-sized)
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped
- 1/2 head broccoli, split into florets
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Salt & pepper, as per your taste
- Add all the ingredients except coconut cream into the Instant Pot
- Stir well, leaving the beef chunks at the bottom
- Cook for 45 minutes under high pressure
- After releasing the pressure, slowly stir coconut cream into the gravy, and adjust seasoning if required
Keto Instant Pot Garlic Mussels
Seafood, in general, makes for a very good fit with keto diets. And mussels in particular suit it extremely well. They’re rich in vitamins, minerals, and contain high quality, easily digestible protein.
Many of us have this misconception that cooking mussels require the kind of expertise found only in culinary schools. That’s not true.
You just need to take extra care when cleaning. Scrub, and remove the beard (hairy bits). Also, use only closed shells. Tap any open ones onto a table, and if they close, they’re good to go.
Mussels are about 7 grams per 100 grams of carbs, so you don’t want to go crazy!
- 2 lbs (900 g) mussels thoroughly cleaned
- 4 tbs salted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot (large), minced
- 1 lemon (large), juiced
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 3 tbsp fresh, chopped parsley leaves
- Put your Instant Pot in saute mode, melt butter, then fry the minced garlic and shallot for 1 or 2 minutes
- Once browned, put the mussels, broth, and lemon juice in
- Pressure cook for 3 minutes
- Vent the pressure.out quickly, and throw away any closed mussels
- Place mussels in a bowl, pour the remaining liquid over, and sprinkle parsley
- Serve, maybe even to a round of applause!
So now that you know how to combine the Instant Pot with your keto diet, remember that imagination is the only limit.
Experiment, and you’ll be able to adapt just about any recipe to the pressure cooker.
It’ll give you nutritious and delicious meals in no time at all.