Ok bit of a trend going on with my recipes, I can’t deny it – everything thrown in a casserole dish and baked! This Keto Butter Lemon Chicken is exactly that.
It’s just that time of year – wintery, cold, dark early but still so much going on, that if a dinner can be ready quickly without lots of dishes, I am all for it.
This all started after I was working on a Lemon Tart recipe (stay tuned for that one!) and ended up with a heap of lemons, and some chicken that needed to be used. The thing is, traditional lemon chicken isn’t really as fat loaded as I would like… enter butter to save the day.
Because it is a cream based sauce in the Keto Butter Lemon Chicken, it does separate from the fats in the oven, so just needs a quick stir before pouring over all of your delicious lemony vegetables.
I used both chicken thighs and drumsticks and both cooked perfectly. You could try chicken breast but they can dry out so easily, so I’d stick with a fattier piece of chicken.
I was literally licking the plate to get the last few drops of this sauce, and luckily have my freezer loaded up with plenty more!
While this dish doesn’t need anything else with it as it is calorie and fat dense, you could make the recipe feed 6 or 8 by also serving some of my creamy Cauliflower Mash to soak up all that delicious sauce.
Keto Butter Lemon Chicken
- 12 chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 200 grams spinach leaves
- 200 grams green beans ends trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 200C /392F.
- In a large casserole dish, spread the spinach leaves over the bottom and then the green beans on top.
- Pat dry the chicken and place skin side up evenly over the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, basting halfway with the juices. Check the chicken with a thermometer and remove at 75 degrees. Mix the sauce in the bottom of the pan and serve over the hot chicken, beans and spinach.