If you are cooking for a crowd, this Keto Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker is the perfect dish. The below recipes serves 6 with plenty to spare, but it can easily be halved as well. Or even doubled as a great freezer meal when you’re after an instant Keto dinner!
Before you scroll to the recipe, below I’ve tried to answer any questions you may have, including storage tips, sourcing ingredients and substitutions
If you make this recipe please leave a review ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Keto Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker Summary
- Ingredient tips
- Recipe tips
- Substitutions and sweetener tips
- Storage tips
- How many carbs in Keto Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker?
Ingredients for Keto Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker
This is one of those dishes where the ingredients might look long, but they are all simple and SO worth it for the deep flavour and comfort you get from Keto Chicken Cacciatore.
You will need:
- Chicken thigh
- Olive oil
- Brown onions
- Garlic paste
- Red wine
- Chicken stock paste
- Red and yellow capsicum
- Tomato paste
- Cayenne pepper
- Bay leaves
- Fresh parsley
- Black olives
Chicken thighs are naturally high in fat, so are perfect for this Keto Chicken Cacciatore recipe.
Substitutions and Ingredient tips
Traditionally cacciatore is served with pasta or rice – which doesn’t work for low carb and keto people!
Instead, you can match it with other keto -friendly salads and side dishes like Keto Salads – Capsicum, Feta and Chorizo
I like to serve this with steamed broccoli and a light salad, as it can be pretty heavy so I like to have some greens on the side.
You could also use chicken breast, although I wouldn’t suggest slow cooking it and do it on the stove top instead
Lots of people don’t like mushrooms or olives so it’s fine to leave them out of your Keto Cacciatore.
Similarly with the capsicum, if you wanted to bring the carbs down even further you could leave them out. They give a nice sweetness to the dish though so I’d recommend leaving them in.
Tips for making Keto Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker
Stove Top Method:
- Brown the chicken thighs in a deep pan with a lid.
- Add the chopped/sliced vegetables and saute for 5 minutes until soft.
- Deglaze the pan with wine for 1 min, then add the remaining sauce ingredients.
- Return the chicken thighs to the pan and cover with sauce. Simmer for 40 – 50 minutes until cooked.
Here’s the step-by-step cooking instruction
- HEAT In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- BROWN THE CHICKEN Brown the chicken thighs on all sides, cooking in batches to avoid over crowding the frying pan.
- PLACE VEGETABLE AT THE BOTTOM Place the chopped vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker and top with the browned chicken thighs.
- COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS Combine all remaining ingredients (excluding the parmesan and fresh parsley for serving), and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Stir to combine evenly.
- COOK Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. If the sauce is looking a little thin, remove the lid for the final hour if cooking on low, or half hour if cooking on high.
- SERVE Serve with cauliflower rice or mash, topped with grated parmesan and fresh parsley sprigs.
Alternative cooking option: Cacciatore can also be cooked on the stove top!
Using a deep frying pan with lid, you can brown the chicken thighs and follow steps up to number 4 and then simmer on the stove top for around 30 minutes until the thighs are cooked through, and the sauce is nice and rich.
Fridge: You can store these in the fridge for 3-4 days and use airtight container.
Freezer: If you have leftover food, put it in a freezer-friendly container and place it in the freezer for up to two months. Reheat in the microwave or stove top until hot. This is a great one to make in batches for meal prep.
If you are freezing this, I would suggest just freezing the Keto cacciatore and not the cauliflower rice or what you serve it with, as it doesn’t tend to defrost as well as made fresh.
How many carbs in Keto Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker
As you will see in the nutrition panel below, this Keto Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker has 15 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber per serve. This equates to 10 grams net carbs.
Other Similar Recipes You Might Like
Slow Cooker Keto Chicken Cacciatore
10 minutes of preparation and 8 hours of slow cooking leads to a delicious, hearty meal that is perfect for feeding a crowd. Keto Chicken Cacciatore is also great for meal prepping – double or triple the recipe and enjoy it for days to come!
- 12 chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 grams mushrooms sliced
- 1 brown onion diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock paste see note above
- 1 700 gram Passata
- 1 red capsicum diced
- 1 yellow capsicum diced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 400 gram tin tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 200 grams grated parmesan optional
- fresh parsley optional
- 1/2 cup black pitted olives optional
In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Brown the chicken thighs on all sides, cooking in batches to avoid over crowding the frying pan.
Place the chopped vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker and top with the browned chicken thighs.
Combine all remaining ingredients (excluding the parmesan, fresh parsley and olives for serving), and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Stir to combine evenly.
Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. If the sauce is looking a little thin, remove the lid for the final hour if cooking on low, or half hour if cooking on high.
Stir through the black olives. Serve with cauliflower rice or mash, topped with grated parmesan and fresh parsley sprigs.
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to rate and review it or share on social media! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Not sure how to start Keto?
Here’s some resources to help you!