This Keto Chicken Risotto packs a flavour punch with the usual suspects of butter, bacon and mushrooms to accompany the chicken.
Ok, ok. We all know this isn’t traditional risotto, because… carbs of course. It’s funny once you’ve been on the ketogenic diet for a while, you might occasionally pick up a packet of rice or pasta and think, well it’s not THAT bad is it?
And then you see all the CARBS. Like ALL of them.
The good thing is that when you are on Keto, you become much more accommodating to things that are sort of like the original, and if the flavour is still delicious, what’s to miss in all those carbs?
When you are feeling amazing, losing weight and reaping the health benefits, who needs the original?
You just have to allow yourself to enjoy all the flavours that go around the rice. Like delicious, succulent chicken. I’ve used chicken breast in this particular dish as I think the darker meat of thighs is a bit much for risotto.
I’m not really sure why I feel this way – so please feel free to use chicken thigh if you prefer!
Because it is chicken breast though, you’ve got to be careful not to overcook it. As my husband puts it, cook the chicken until you’re a little bit worried it’s under cooked, then for another 30 seconds, and you’re usually ok. (disclaimer – don’t get yourself sick. Cook it all the way through!)
Crispy bacon. Sautéed mushrooms. Delicious chicken stock.
Using a good quality chicken stock is as always crucial.
If you have the time and inclination, home made is always best and you could easily use bone broth for this recipe for extra flavour and goodness.
You can read all about the wonders of bone broth in my post here, 7 Reasons To Include Bone Broth in your Keto Diet + Recipe
I like to top my easy Keto Chicken Risotto with some spring onions for a bit of fresh crunch, and of course delicious parmesan cheese.
I tend to buy whatever parmesan cheese is on sale and use my veggie peeler to peel some super thin slices. You could also use a grater of course.
If you are looking for other Keto Chicken Breast dishes, here are some of my favourites:
These are some of the tasty ways to enjoy Chicken Breast on Keto, because one thing is for sure, Keto is NOT boring!
Save to Pinterest for Later
Enjoy the recipe!
Keto Chicken Risotto with Bacon and Mushrooms
- 1/2 head cauliflower riced in a food processor
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 200 grams bacon diced
- 500 grams chicken breast cut 2cm x 1cm slices
- 200 grams mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or bone broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 50 grams parmesan cheese finely grated
- Prepare ingredients as detailed above.
- In a large, deep frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter of medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and fry for 2 minutes until lightly translucent.
- Add the diced bacon and fry until just crispy.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and continue to fry until the mushrooms are golden.
- Add the chicken strips and fry, stirring constantly to soak up all that bacon and mushroom flavour. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes until just sealed on all sides.
- Add the riced cauliflower and stir to combine evenly. Cook for 1 minute on high heat, then add chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Reduce to a simmer and taste for additional salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 - 12 minutes on low heat until the cauliflower is just softened to your liking and chicken just cooked through. Don't cook it too much or the cauliflower becomes mushy!
- Just before serving, stir through 1/2 of the grated parmesan. Serve with remaining parmesan.