The vibrancy and sourness of lemon makes my mouth water! Keto Lemon and Poppyseed muffins celebrates that tangy freshness of lemon in the best way possible, and topped with Lemon Cream Cheese frosting are a beautiful dessert for a special occasion.
To get the xylitol really fine, I use a food processor to blitz it a few times until it is a fine powder. This works perfectly for dusting, like in my Keto Raspberry Tarts and it helps the xylitol dissolve faster. You could also use a coffee or spice grinder to do this, or buy the confectioners xylitol which is already really fine.
I also recommend using blanched almond flour as it is much finer than the almond meal you can buy in the supermarkets. I buy Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour or buy it from local specialty stores if I am after a few other things.
Keto Lemon and Poppyseed Muffins with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 100 grams butter softened
- 250 grams cream cheese room temperature
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1/3 cup xylitol powdered
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 356F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, xylitol and poppyseeds.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice until evenly combined.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry and fold together gently until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Leave to cool while preparing the frosting.
- To make the frosting, using a hand beater or stand mix, whip the butter, cream cheese and lemon, saving 1 tablespoon of rind for serving.
- Whip in the powdered xylitol until completely incorporated.
- Once the muffins are cool, pipe or spread the frosting on top and finish with reserved lemon rind and a few extra poppy seeds for added crunch.