I think I might be a little bit obsessed with haloumi. This Keto Pesto Chicken Bake is one of the many recipes I’ve created using Haloumi, because it is by far one of the most versatile cheeses. Quite often I’ll just grill it with a squeeze of lemon and eat on its own, or on top of a salad.
The fresh flavours in this Keto Pesto Chicken Bake will make it a firm family favourite – I am getting hungry just typing this up and looking back at the photos.
The beauty of this cheese is that it gets warm, golden and soft but doesn’t melt into a blob. This makes it great for recipes like my Greek Keto Chicken Kebabs.
The haloumi stays firm while getting golden, the chicken remains moist and absorbs some of the beautiful pesto vibrancy and the cherry tomatoes are bursting with flavour. Such simple ingredients create a dish that will wow.
As always you can use store bought pesto (check those labels people!) or make your own very simply. I like making my Keto Pesto using celery leaves
This makes enough for 4 people to have 2 small chicken thighs each, or otherwise is great for lunches the next day. Easily scaleable as well – make as much or as little as you want of this Keto Pesto Chicken Bake.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 392F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, toss the chicken thighs and cherry tomatoes with the oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto the prepared baking tray.
- Top each chicken thigh with 1/2 tablespoon pesto. Cut the haloumi into 8 strips or triangles and put on top of the pesto coated chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and drain excess liquid. Squeeze the lemon over the haloumi and return to the oven for a further 10 - 12 minutes until the cheese is golden and chicken cooked through.
- Serve with baby basil leaves or rocket salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 20gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 222mgSodium: 1755mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 37g