If you’ve never heard of this dish, I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Keto Green Bean Casserole is hearty, loaded with healthy fats and is a new twist on an American classic.
I have stumbled across many recipes for the traditional Green Bean Casserole over the years as it seems to be an American Thanksgiving compulsory dish. It seems like everyone has their own favourite take on it, but a lot of the recipes rely on a can of mushroom soup and bread crumbs for a crunchy top – no good for my fellow keto eaters!
I developed this recipe to maximize the fats to offset the slightly higher carb green beans and onion, and I absolutely loved it. I ate it for the next 3 days for lunch and it only got better and better!
You can easily simplify this recipe by leaving out the fried onions and bacon to make it even quicker and easier, but I loved the extra flavour it added.
Keto Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 392F and grease a medium sized casserole dish.
- If using the onion and bacon topping, fry in a frying pan over medium-high heat until crispy. Set aside to drain on paper towel, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Meanwhile, steam the green beans in a microwave safe container until cooked to your liking. I like them still a bit crunchy, so this usually takes 5 - 6 minutes in the microwave. Place in your casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan, add the mushrooms and butter and saute until lightly golden.
- Add the chicken stock, cream, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Simmer for 10 - 12 minutes until thickened slightly and taste for extra salt and pepper.
- Add the xantham gum and continue simmering for 4 - 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the beans and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the casserole, then top with the crispy bacon and onions.
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until the bacon and onion are a deep golden colour.
- Serve immediately, but also reheats very well and is just as delicious for days to come!