This low carb caesar salad is one of my favourite weeknight meals. It is forgiving, tasty and filling and left overs make fantastic lunches the next day. It is also easily scaleable to feed a crowd if you are entertaining on a hot night.
I always keep a dozen boiled eggs in the fridge in their shells, which often leads to many caesar salads!
You can make your own caesar dressing using the recipe below, or do some research into a store bought caesar dressing. I personally use Zoosh Caesar Dressing when I am running short on time or don’t have the ingredients available.
Chicken Caesar Salad
A quick and satisfying salad, high in protein and flavour! On the table in 30 minutes.
Caesar Dressing Ingredients - or use a store bought low carb dressing
- Avocado, red onion, cherry tomatoes
- To make the dressing
- Place egg yolks, mustard, garlic, anchovies and vinegar in a blender or a jug if you have a bar mix/immersion blender and mix thoroughly to combine. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until dressing thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. This is great to prepare ahead, and then just throw it all together at dinner time!
- To make the salad
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan of cold water. Put over high heat until a boil commences, then turn down the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes. Run under cold water until cool enough to handle, and then peel the shells and dry, placing to one side.
- Dice the bacon and fry in a non stick frying pan until crispy. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Dice the chicken. Using the bacon frying pan, very lightly fry the garlic until fragrant. Toss in the chicken and oregano and cook through. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place to one side.
- To serve, loosely cut the lettuce leaves (or leave them whole if you like!) and scatter around the bacon and chicken. Grate the parmesan cheese (I like to use my vegetale peeler to get nice stripand scatter over the salad.
- Cut the egg in quarters and drizzle with the Caesar dressing.