Vegetarian recipes can be a bit of a challenge on Keto, but this Keto Vegetarian Lasagna will have you licking the plate and looking for more.
This take on a Keto Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna (‘lasagna’ used loosely…) takes inspiration from those delicious store bought stuffed cannelloni.
You know the ones? They are pasta tubes, stuffed full of a light and fluffy ricotta, mixed through with spinach and some herbs.
But obviously we can’t have pasta on keto, so the layers are made with delicious baked eggplant!
Vegetarian keto recipes can be few and far between, because so many dishes rely on meat for fat and protein.
So don’t tell my husband, but I’ve decided to introduce a meat free day a week – and what better day than Meat Free Monday.
The amount of meat we consume is huge, and the Keto way of eating doesn’t help this. I am very conscious of the environmental impact that our high meat consumption has and the welfare of the animals we are producing, but to say I could go vegan and still be Keto is too much of a stretch – for now.
In an effort to reduce our contribution, I am going to start with one meat free meal a week and see how the steak-loving husband copes, and take it from there.
Just don’t tell him, ok? If it’s got enough flavour and fats going on, maybe he won’t even notice he’s being a vegetarian one day a week!
You will hopefully be seeing a few more vegetarian keto recipes in coming weeks. You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy the food, and this Keto Vegetarian Lasagna is proof of that.
I always like to serve it with some fresh parsley on top and a big bowl of green salad leaves. I don’t even jazz up the salad leaves, just toss a bit of olive oil on and you are set. There’s enough going on in the main meal.
The first time I made this recipe, I was trying to cut corners and didn’t cook the eggplant slices first.
Chewy, rubbery, biter eggplant followed.
Meat-free husband was not a fan, understandably.
I can eat just about anything so had it for lunch the next couple of days, but trust me, don’t skip the pre-cooking of the eggplant.
I use a simple supermarket ricotta too, rather than a fancy deli one as they can contain too much water and can end up making the dish watery overall.
Similar Dishes to Keto Vegetarian Lasagna
If you’re looking for some other clever vegetarian keto recipes, check out these. The Paneer Curry in particular is one of my all time favourites!
Keto Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna
- 1 large eggplant sliced as thinly lengthwise as possible
- 600 grams ricotta drained
- 200 grams frozen spinach thawed, water squeezed out
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 1 cup passata I use Leggos
- 1 cup grated cheese I like 1/2 tasty, 1/2 parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 392F and grease a 20cm x 20cm deep casserole dish.
- Slice the eggplant as thinly as you can, and lay the pieces out on a cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, flipping once, until tender. Alternatively, you could grill them in batches in a frying pan.
- While the eggplant is baking, in a large bowl combine ricotta, drained spinach, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon. Mix thoroughly to ensure even distribution of spices.
- In the prepared casserole dish, begin with a layer of cooked eggplant, then top with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. Repeat the layers of eggplant and ricotta until all ingredients are used up.
- Top with the passata and sprinkle on the grated cheese. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes until piping hot through, removing the tin foil for the final 10 minutes so the cheese gets nice and crispy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to rate and review it or share on social media! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Not sure how to start Keto?
Here’s some resources to help you!