Cashew Chicken is one of my favourite ‘Chinese’ takeaway dishes. I love to eat this Keto Cashew Chicken Stir Fry in lettuce cups as it adds a delicious, fresh crunch to the meal and of course some added vitamins, but you can certainly eat it as is or with some cauliflower rice! Ready in 30 minutes makes it an even better weeknight dinner.
When we are having a naughty take away meal, Cashew Chicken is my go to as it’s usually packed full of veggies, and the sauce isn’t too bad on the carb scale when it comes to Chinese food.
This Keto Cashew Chicken uses a few higher carb sauces, but in relatively low amounts and balanced with plenty of protein and fats to keep it keto balanced.
I used chicken breast in this recipe, but if you want some added fat you could also use chicken thigh!
If you use the lettuce cups and want to use up the rest, why not try my Keto San Choy Bau Lettuce Cups – SO much flavour. Or if you’re craving Chinese flavours in general (as I regularly do!), you could also try Keto Chow Mein Bowls or my Keto Chinese Cabbage Salad!
Keto Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 chicken breast or 2 chicken thighs, diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1/2 green capsicum cut into 1cm slices
- 1 red chilli optional, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashews
- 4 cos lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon xylitol optional, for sweetness
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Prepare the chicken, capsicum and chilli if using as above.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients and taste for salt and pepper.
- In a large frying pan or wok, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced chicken, garlic and ginger and fry until the chicken is sealed on all sides and slightly browned.
- Add the capsicum and chilli if using and continue to fry for 2 - 3 minutes until the capsicum is just starting to soften.
- Add the roasted cashews and sauce ingredients and toss to combine. Continue stirring over high heat until the sauce has thickened slightly and the chicken is just cooked through.
- Serve in Cos Lettuce cups, on its own or with cauliflower rice and additional chilli if desired.