Chinese flavours pair so well with pork, unfortunately they often bring a lot of sugar with them. Thankfully, some of the flavours can be replicated like with this Keto Chinese Pulled Pork.
This is a Keto version of Char Siu (that yummy pork inside the sticky pork buns!). It’s sticky, sweet and a little spicy if you add the chilli.
Some of my favourite ‘pre-keto’ recipes included so much honey or sugar. I didn’t even realise. If I had them now, I would probably go on a week long sugar binge.
The slow cooker is your friend yet again with this recipe. If you don’t have one, for the love of Keto, please get one. They are only about $20 – $30 from most department stores and a slow cooker and some herbs transforms the cheapest meat cuts into AMAZING food.
My favourite meals are pretty much all slow cooker meals.
Set it and forget it, 8 hours later your house will be smelling like your favourite Yum Cha restaurant.
I use my Sugar Free Tomato Ketchup for this recipe.
You can use whatever sugar-free low carb tomato sauce you can find. Always remember to check those carbs though!
I love serving this with something fresh and crunchy to contrast the texture, such as my Keto Chinese Cabbage Salad .
This salad is super tasty and fresh, and the dressing has some serious ZING to it. Zing is the only word I can think to describe it. It’s a sweet-sour-salty combination that, drenced all over crunchy veg, makes my tastebuds excited.
I add in avocado to the salad, even though it’s very NOT traditional, but because it adds a great creaminess. Oh, and of course those keto fats.
Or my delicious Keto Coconut Rice on the side to balance the rich and sweet flavours. If you’ve just been having plain old cauliflower rice with everything, this Keto Coconut Rice is going to rock your world.
It is SO great with curries and really rich dishes, as the creaminess helps balance out intense flavours. Give it a shot!
Keto Chinese Pulled Pork is another great dish for left overs the next day.
I swear, eating left overs for lunch is the key to my success on keto.
You only have to prepare half the meals, and it ends up really cost effective because chances are, if you’re buying 1kg of pork, you can get a better deal buying 2kg of pork and using it for lunches.
Talk to your butcher and work out a deal if you want to food prep in bulk regularly!
This pork works beautifully just with a side salad, but also with your favourite keto friendly wraps or burger buns. Pulled pork sliders anyone?
These are my favourite keto friendly hamburger buns, from Low Carb Maven
When it comes to bread substitutes, it’s all about that texture, right?
A few tips for this Keto Chinese Pulled Pork recipe;
- Buy some good quality pork! It’s such a fatty meat, you want the fat to be good quality
- Check out your supermarket just before closing time, especially the day before they re-stock. This is when meat is likely to be on special
- Pork freezes really well! If you see it on special, buy it ASAP.
- When I haven’t made a batch of my sugar free tomato sauce, I use store bought sugar free or stevia sweetened ketchup. It works just fine, but there’s a few things in there I wouldn’t want to be having all the time
- I like to use sweet smoked paprika – extra sweetness never hurt when it comes to this tasty pork dish
Other Keto Slow Cooker Recipes You Will Love:
- 1 kg pork, shoulder or loin
- 1 cup chicken broth, homemade is best
- 4 tablespoons sugar free tomato sauce, homemade is best
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 drops liquid sweetner
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place the pork in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over the pork, ensuring it gets underneath as well.
- Cook on low for 7 hours. Shred the pork with a fork and stir through the sauce, cooking for a further 30 - 60 minutes until the sauce has thickened to your liking, or eat it straight away.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 13gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 929mgCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 30g