This easy Keto Lemon Curd is a must-have recipe in your repertoire.
Just about everyone I know loves lemon curd, and it is a really easy way to jazz up a boring dessert or add some tanginess to anything thats a bit sweet. This easy Keto Lemon Curd can also be a wonderful gift, especially for someone just getting started on Keto!
The reason I call this easy keto lemon curd is that sometimes they can be a bit tricky and lots of recipes use whole eggs as well as the egg yolks. I love this recipe because you can use up left over egg yolks from other cooking.
Some recipes call for running your lemon curd through a sieve to ensure it’s really fine. I don’t bother – extra dishes suck. That’s why I lick the spoon clean after making this too.
Using up left over egg yolks on keto is a common issue in my house, because lots of recipes use egg whites.
These Keto Coconut Macaroons, for example, get made quite a bit here, which means left over egg yolks. No problem – this lemon curd has you covered! Maybe you could dip your Keto Coconut macaroons into my easy keto lemon curd? Hmmm just an idea…
Another way to use up left over egg yolks on Keto is ice cream of course.
Check out my Easy Vanilla Keto Ice Cream – no churner required. I also made a delicious Keto Coconut Rough Ice Cream based off the same recipe which is ALMOST as delicious. Ok, if you like chocolate, its 100 times more delicious. For me, vanilla ice cream has always been number one.
I don’t know about you, but I love my lemon flavours PRONOUNCED. No point squeezing in some lemon if you can’t even taste it. If you’ve got even more lemons to use, you could also try my Keto Lemon and Poppyseed Muffins.
If you prefer a bit more of a subtle lemon taste, perhaps scale down the lemons to 1 1/2 instead of using 2 full lemons. My husband made a bit of a sour face when taste testing for me, so you have been warned.
I just had an idea while writing this – I should make my Keto Lemon and Poppyseed Muffins but fill them with lemon curd as well!
Or would that be too much lemon? IS there such a thing? I’m really not sure now.. comment below if you think I should make these and I’ll share a photo.
I loved serving this with a Keto Strawberry Tart recipe I made recently.
The tart itself was pretty sweet, and I even dusted it with some powdered xylitol to give it a lovely sticky coating. The sweetness needed cutting through though, so for me this Easy Keto Lemon Curd did the trick.
Another delicious friend of this Easy Keto Lemon Butter are my Keto scones!! While they aren’t your traditional English soft and chewy scones, they are pretty yummy.
A few tips for this Easy Keto Lemon Curd recipe;
- Obviously lemons change in size, sweetness and sourness. Have a taste as you go and adjust as necessary!
- Egg yolks are all different sizes. I usually use large eggs.
- Quality of ingredients here is important, after all there is only 4. Use nice eggs, lemons and butter for the best results
- I like to use salted butter but you don’t have to if you don’t have any on hand
- I LOVE to serve this on some toast. Use your favourite Keto friendly bread and slather this easy keto lemon butter all over it… *drool*
- Note the Net carbs have calculated at zero based on a tablespoon serving. The ingredients DO have carbs but the total is below 1 gram, so if you are having lots you will still be having carbs!
Easy Keto Lemon Curd
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 25 grams butter
- 2 large lemons zested and juiced
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks and xylitol.
- Put over low heat and light whisk until the xylitol has dissolved.
- Add the butter and lemon zest and continue whisking until the butter is melted.
- Lastly, add the lemon juice and continue whisking over medium heat until thickened. Transfer to sterile jars or small ramekins.
- Store in the fridge.