Keto Mexican Meatballs
If you’re looking for a simple weeknight meal, these Keto Mexican Meatballs should be in regular rotation!
Chicken mince is cheap and can often be found on special.
I load up my freezer whenever I find it, so this is a meal that is simple to whip up when inspiration is lacking.
I love to serve these meatballs with avocado or guacamole, sour cream, coriander and grated cheese.
I’ve also had them before with zucchini noodles which also works really well!
The amount of chilli used is to my taste, but of course adjust to your own.
If you’re cooking for kiddies you would likely want to leave it out completely, and scale back the cumin as well.
By oven baking the meatballs, the end up really nice and moist.
The other reason I oven bake the meatballs is because..well.. sometimes I’m lazy.
Putting them in the oven while your sauce simmers means you’ve got 20 minutes of chill out time. Wine time. Reading time. Or dishes time if you’re so inclined.
The chicken will let out a bit of moisture in the oven, but don’t worry, this is normal. They almost ‘steam’ in the oven, but since you are putting them into a sauce, it doesn’t matter that they aren’t crispy.
By all means you can pan fry them, but the other risk is that they don’t cook as evenly, or that they fall apart. In the oven, less handling means more staying together!
And more time for wine.
SAVE TO PINTEREST FOR LATER
Other Keto Mexican Recipes
Some other recipes you might enjoy:
Keto Mexican Meatballs
- fresh coriander
- grated tasty cheese
- sour cream
- guacamole or avocado
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 392F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl and using your hands, massage through the spices to ensure they are evenly distributed.
- With wet hands, roll the meatballs into small balls and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until just cooked through.
- While your meatballs are in the oven, in a large, deep frying pan, saute the onion in olive oil over medium heat until just translucent.
- Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer over low heat until the meatballs are ready.
- Toss the meatballs through the sauce and serve with guacamole or avocado, sour cream, cheese and fresh coriander.