Apple isn’t Keto!! Well, technically it isn’t. But by using one small apple in these Keto Apple Rhubarb Muffins, and combining them with the traditional apple spices that really make the flavour shine, you’ll forget these is a forbidden fruit.
One small apple will usually have around 18 – 20 grams of carbs in it – but divide this up over 12 muffins and you’ve only got 2 grams of apple carbs per muffin. And those 2 grams are totally worth it to enjoy these Keto Apple Rhubarb Muffins straight out of the oven, with a bit of butter melting on top.
I also add a crunchy, nutty topping for that extra apple pie flavour to my Keto Apple Rhubarb Muffins. While you can easily leave this out I definitely recommend including it.
If you’re looking for other sweet muffins, why not try my Keto Lemon and Poppyseed Muffins, they are to die for!
- 1 small apple, finely diced
- 1 cup rhubarb, about 3 stalks, finely diced
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 50 grams butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon xylitol
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 356F and grease a 12 cup muffin pan, or use silicone liners (always the best for stopping sticking)
- Prepare the apple and rhubarb by finely dicing both.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the muffin batter and whisk to break up any lumps.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the remaining wet ingredients (sour cream, melted butter, eggs and vanilla). Whisk until there are no lumps of sour cream.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures. Fold through the apple and rhubarb and place the mixture in the muffin tin.
- If using, combine the crunchy topping ingredients and place a teaspoon on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g