Yep, another cauliflower dish. I am convinced that anyone who doesn’t like cauliflower just hasn’t found the right dish for them. This Keto Pizza Casserole could turn some cauli-haters into cauli-lovers in one mouthful.
After starting keto a few years back, I quickly started to realise how so many of the carb heavy dishes we eat don’t really need to be full of carbs to get the same flavour.
The carb loaded base is often just a filler to carry the flavours, like rice, bread and pasta. Of course they have a textural element, but a lot of the time we drown these carb bases in other flavours, so why not leave them our or sub them for something like cauliflower like in this Keto Pizza Casserole? All of the flavour, none of the carbs.
By using steamed cauliflower in this dish, it makes it a hearty meal for 4, or great for lunches for a few days. I have also frozen this in aluminium foil before and it thaws really well.
Depending on the cheese you use, this Keto Pizza Casserole can get a bit greasy on top but nothing that a dab of paper towel won’t fix.
Of course, a Keto Pizza Casserole is going to be pretty calorie dense so we suggest dividing into 6 servings and having it with a green salad.
For another Keto Casserole, check out this Keto Green Bean Casserole Recipe!
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 500 grams beef mince
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 grams bacon, diced
- 10 slices pepperoni or salami
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 cup grated mozzarella, or tasty cheesy
- 1/4 cup olives, optional, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 392F and grease a deep casserole dish.
- Steam the cauliflower until tender (I use the microwave with a splash of water for 5 - 6 minutes) and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large frying pan, fry the bacon in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until just crispy. Toss in the steamed cauliflower to soak up the bacon grease then pour into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Without cleaning the frying pan, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and beef mince. Break the beef mince up and fry over medium high heat until browned.
- Add the garlic powder, tomato paste and oregano and stir through. Turn heat to medium and fry for 3- 4 minutes until thicker. Layer mince over the bacon and cauliflower. Depending on your meat, dab excess oil with paper towel.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and cream. Pour over the mince mixture and shake the casserole to ensure it gets through.
- Top with the grated cheese and sliced pepperoni (and olives if using).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden. Let stand for 5 minutes then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 563Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 17gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 218mgSodium: 859mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 27g